- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
North Park Fire Department hosts Community Blood and Be The Match Marrow Registry Drive
MACHESNEY PARK, Ill. — The North Park Fire Department, 600 Wood Ave., Machesney Park, is hosting a Community Blood and Be the Match Marrow Registry Drive Thursday, Sept. 4. Staff from the Rock River Valley Blood Center will draw blood and sign people up to be on the “Be The Match”Bone Marrow Registry Drive between 3 and 7 p.m.
If you are at least 17 years old (16 years old with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health, you should be eligible to donate blood. One in three people will need blood, and you never know when you or someone you love might be the one.
To be a member of the registry, all you need is to be between the ages of 18 and 60, be willing to donate to any patient in need, and meet the health guidelines. Every day, thousands of patients with leukemia and other life-threatening diseases hope for a marrow donor who can make their transplant possible. Seventy percent of patients do not have a donor in their family. They depend on people like you. When you join the Be The Match Registry, you become part of every patient’s search for a donor. You have the power to heal, the power to save a life. Take the first step, join the registry.
The Rock River Valley Blood Center is the sole supplier of blood and related services to OSF Saint Anthony, Rockford Memorial, SwedishAmerican, Beloit Memorial, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Harvard Memorial, SwedishAmerican Medical Center-Belvidere and Rochelle Community hospitals. The Rock River Valley Blood Center needs to collect 1,000 units each week to meet area patient needs.
In addition to their day-to-day services, the North Park Fire Department is hosting this Blood Drive to help save even more lives in the community. Join them in sharing the Gift of Life. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact North Park Fire Department at (815) 636-3051 or leave a message on Extension 19.
Contact the Rock River Valley Blood Center at (815) 965-8751; toll free at (866) 889-9073 or on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
From the Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2012, issue