- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Comprehensive series explores living with diabetes
Online Staff Report
OREGON, Ill. — “I on Diabetes” is a comprehensive series for anyone with diabetes, family members of individuals with the disease or anyone interested in learning more about it.
The program is offered by University of Illinois Extension Nutrition & Wellness Educator Marilyn Csernus, a registered dietitian and certified diabetes instructor.
The program runs 4-7 p.m., Wednesdays, Sept. 19, Sept. 26, Oct. 3 and Oct. 10 at the Ogle County Farm Bureau building, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
Whether at risk for diabetes, newly diagnosed or for those who have been dealing with it for years, this program offers evidence-based education. Diabetes self-management topics will help empower participants with knowledge and tools necessary for living with the disease and maintaining adequate glucose control.
Some of the topics covered include diabetes basics, goal setting, meal planning, monitoring and making the most of health care visits.
To help those struggling with meal planning, each session includes a cooking demonstration and taste testing of the program recipes. Restaurant dining and consumption of prepared foods are also covered.
Cost for the four programs is $40 and pre-registration is preferred by Sept. 12. Class size is limited.
For more information or to register, visit web.extension.edu/bdo or call Ogle County Extension at (815) 732-2191.
Posted Sept. 5, 2012