Couple bequests $15 million to northern Illinois area
Dr. Louis and Violet Rubin, formerly of Rockford, have made a bequest of $15 million to the northern Illinois regional community. The endowed bequest of $15 million will be administered by the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois.
According to the donors’ wishes, the bequest will support the regional community (Boone, Ogle, Stephenson and Winnebago counties) in the areas of human services, general education, medical education and medical research.
“This is an exciting day for our regional community,” said Gloria Lundin, president of the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois. “Dr. and Mrs. Rubin believed in the power of endowment and knew that by endowing their gift, their legacy of caring will live on, forever.”
Dr. Louis Rubin was born Nov. 20, 1917, and was raised in Rock Falls, Ill. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago, interned at Philadelphia General Hospital, and served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. He completed his residency at Billings Hospital in Chicago.
Dr. Rubin opened his dermatological practice in Rockford in 1949 and was a founding member of Rockford Clinic in 1951.
He was the first board-certified dermatologist in Rockford. In 1981, he was recognized as Practitioner of the Year by the Chicago Dermatological Society and became a life member of that society.
Violet Rubin (Vi) came to Rockford in 1949 when her husband completed his residency in Chicago and opened an office here. Vi was a homemaker and an active community volunteer, serving as a board member of the Winnebago County Mental Health Association, a member of the Women’s Board of Rockford Art Association, and chairman of the “Show-Me-A-Picture” program. She served on the board of the League of Women Voters of Rockford for six years and was a board member of the Orchestra Guild.
At her church, Temple Beth El, Vi was a board member and served as president of the Temple Beth El Sisterhood.
Vi was a lifelong partner to Louis, both of them enjoying classical music, tennis and the theater.
Together, the Rubins raised two children and fulfilled the dreams of many through their never-ending spirit of philanthropy.
The Rubins supported many causes, including the Community Foundation of Sarasota, the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, the Sarasota Memorial Hospital Foundation, the YMCA, the Jewish Housing Council, the American Diabetes Association, the American Cancer Society, the American Academy of Dermatology, the Sarasota Senior Friendship Clinic and the Rock Falls, Ill., Public Library, which was named after Dr. Rubin’s parents in 2001.
The Community Foundation of Northern Illinois is the area’s largest provider of grants and scholarships. Its mission is to attract, grow, and preserve an endowment for the needs of the people of northern Illinois.
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue
Print This Article