- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
DeKalb Kite Fest Sept. 9
DEKALB, Ill. — Colorful kites of all sizes and shapes will soar over the skies of DeKalb, Ill., at the Seventh Annual DeKalb Kite Festival from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 8.
The festival will be in a field known as the “North 40” on the campus of Northern Illinois University, at Lucinda Avenue and Kishwaukee Drive in DeKalb, adjacent to Anderson Hall. Admission is free, with VIP parking available for $3.
Many featured kites have to be seen to be appreciated, including fighting kites and an eye-popping display of three, 90-foot-long octopus kites called octophile. Other kites could include stunt and dancing kites, Mimi the Pink Ladybug, Teddy Bear, owl, manta ray and cat kites.
This family-oriented festival will feature kite-making for children, a candy drop, games and other activities for the kids to enjoy all day long.
Food will be provided by Sweet Dreams Desserts and Catering and Sycamore Country Store and Catering. Ice Cream will be available from Cream King. Other organizations participating include Art Attack; DeKalb Park District, Kishwaukee Health Corporation; NIU STEM Outreach, and Kite Harbor Kites.
Spectators are invited to bring lawn chairs and blankets for comfortable seating.
Some of the area’s best kite-fliers and kite-builders will be on hand to answer questions and demonstrate their skills. DeKalb Kite Fest offers plenty of space for participants to fly their own kites. Bring a kite, make a kite or buy a kite from Kite Harbor Kite Shop, which will be on site.
For more about Kite Fest, visit the DeKalb County Convention & Visitors Bureau at www.dekalbcountycvb.com.
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue