- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Kudos to Quinn for blocking gambling expansion, mob corruption
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) did a great service to the state when he recently vetoed the proposed gambling expansion bill and characterized it as “loopholes for mobsters.” The action means no casino in Rockford, for now.
For those who question this accurate assessment, I would urge readers to visit The Rock River Times’ online archives and search for the many mob and mob-related news articles in which such activity is detailed in the Rockford area. The articles were published from 2004 to 2007.
Kudos to Quinn.
Former staff writer for The Rock River Times
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue