- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Kudos to Quinn for blocking gambling expansion, mob corruption
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) did a great service to the state when he recently vetoed the proposed gambling expansion bill and characterized it as “loopholes for mobsters.” The action means no casino in Rockford, for now.
For those who question this accurate assessment, I would urge readers to visit The Rock River Times’ online archives and search for the many mob and mob-related news articles in which such activity is detailed in the Rockford area. The articles were published from 2004 to 2007.
Kudos to Quinn.
Former staff writer for The Rock River Times
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue