- Comptroller: state payroll system antiquated
- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
Kudos to Quinn for blocking gambling expansion, mob corruption
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) did a great service to the state when he recently vetoed the proposed gambling expansion bill and characterized it as “loopholes for mobsters.” The action means no casino in Rockford, for now.
For those who question this accurate assessment, I would urge readers to visit The Rock River Times’ online archives and search for the many mob and mob-related news articles in which such activity is detailed in the Rockford area. The articles were published from 2004 to 2007.
Kudos to Quinn.
Former staff writer for The Rock River Times
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue