- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Kudos to Quinn for blocking gambling expansion, mob corruption
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) did a great service to the state when he recently vetoed the proposed gambling expansion bill and characterized it as “loopholes for mobsters.” The action means no casino in Rockford, for now.
For those who question this accurate assessment, I would urge readers to visit The Rock River Times’ online archives and search for the many mob and mob-related news articles in which such activity is detailed in the Rockford area. The articles were published from 2004 to 2007.
Kudos to Quinn.
Former staff writer for The Rock River Times
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue