- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
Motorsports: Rockford Speedway to crown track champions Sept. 8
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Rockford Speedway, 9572 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, Ill., will crown track champions in respective divisions Saturday, Sept. 8.
Spectator gates will open at 5 p.m., with qualifying at 5:55 p.m. and first race at 7:07 p.m.
The final weekly race event of the season will determine the NASCAR champions in the Late Model, Sportsmen, American Short Tracker and RoadRunner divisions.
Jerry Gille enters the final week as the leader in the Late Model division. He has 912 points, trailed by Jon Reynolds Jr. at 840, Matt Berger at 811, Wayne Freimund at 738 and Mitchell Garfield at 719.
Doug Bennett leads the Sportsmen with 697 points, followed by Justin Sellers at 621, Johnny Robinson II at 599, Brett McCoy at 587 and Scott Lawver at 537.
Joe LaMarca is the leader in the Short Tracker division with 696 points. George Sparkman is in second with 661, Nick Cina Jr. in third with 638, Scott Hoeft in fourth with 629 and Christopher Jones in fifth with 581.
RoadRunner leader is Bobby Frisch with 815 points, followed by Dennis Smith Jr. with 686, Arlyn Roush with 650, Howie Ware with 617 and Brian Mayer with 584.
Drivers are also competing for NASCAR State Champion and national awards.
The Double Spin to Win Race will help determine the RoadRunner Challenge champion as well.
The final event of the evening is becoming one of the more popular race events, the Late Model Showdown Match Races. The top eight drivers in the point standings will be paired head-to-head in single-elimination Match Races, which award the winner a berth in the next round and the loser a front-row seat to the action.
Adult tickets are $12, students (ages 12-17) $8, kids (ages 6-11) $5 with children ages 5 and younger admitted free. Members of the public safety and/or medical profession will be admitted free of charge with proper ID.
For more information, visit www.rockfordspeedway.com or call (815) 633-1500.
From the Sept. 5-11, 2012, issue