Park District celebrates completion of Nicholas Conservatory boat dock by offering ‘Dock Deals’
Online Staff Report
The Rockford Park District recently completed the construction of a new boat dock right outside Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. Second St., Rockford. The new 90-foot dock means the Rockford Park District’s Forest City Queen has a new place to dock, and the public has a new place to park their boats. The dock was made possible thanks to an anonymous donation.
New! Dock Deals
In celebration of the new dock, Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens and the Forest City Queen will offer special “Dock Deals” in September.
Dock Deal 1: Cruisin’ to the Conservatory!
Cruisin’ to the Conservatory is a new way to experience two Rockford Park District attractions at a discounted price. Take a ride on Forest City Queen and a tour of Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, and save more than 30 percent off admission to both attractions. Purchase Cruisin’ to the Conservatory tickets at the Trolley Station, 324 N. Madison St., Rockford. Tickets cover admission to the Forest City Queen and Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens.
Date: Every Saturday in September (Sept. 8, 15, 22, 29)
Departure time: Noon (Departs from dock outside Riverview Ice House)
Schedule: 45-minute boat ride, 20 minutes at Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
Cost: $6 (residents), $7 (non-residents), $4 (students age 18 and younger); ages 4 and younger are admitted free. For groups of 10 or more, call (815) 987-1685 to make advance reservations; seating is limited.
Dock Deal 2: Show Us Your Keys!
The new boat dock outside Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens is open to the public. Anyone who docks outside of the Conservatory just has to show staff their boat keys to receive $3 off admission to the Conservatory.
Saturdays in September at Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
All events listed below are free with admission.
Saturday, Sept. 8
• Noon to 2 p.m. — “Building a Lasting Dream” with Webbs Norman; book signing and Q & A with author and former Rockford Park District executive director;
Photos From the Past; view historical photos of Sinnissippi Gardens in the lobby. Special exhibit all month long!
Saturday, Sept. 15
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Make-It, Take-It: Gecko Magnet
• 11 to 11:30 a.m. — ExploraStory
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Rockford Peaches’ Sis Wadell autograph signing, and view Peaches memorabilia
Saturday, Sept. 22
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Raines Honey Farm “Live Hive”
• 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. — @Nicholas; hands-on project led by Environmental Recreation and Education staff
• 1 to 2 p.m. — Charlotte Hackin: “Stay Young to 100”; presentation by artist/author Charlotte Hackin
Saturday, Sept. 29
National Coffee Day; Celebrate with a free cup of coffee at NCG!
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Make-It, Take-It: Coffee Clay
For more about additional programs and events at Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, visit www.nicholasconservatory.com, or call (815) 987-8858. For more about the Forest City Queen, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/fcq, or call (815) 987-8894 or (815) 987-1685.
Posted Sept. 5, 2012
Print This Article