- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
State unveils new electronic database for Illinois State Archives
Online Staff Report
Illinois Secretary of State and State Archivist Jesse White (D) has announced that a new online database describing the documents and records maintained at the Illinois State Archives is now available.
The database, called Archon, is a searchable finding aid for use in locating important historical information.
“As state archivist, it is my mission to make Illinois records available and as easily accessible as possible,” White said. “With the use of the Internet, individuals can easily search for records held at the Illinois State Archives. I am proud to make these important historical documents easily accessible with the use of this advanced technology.”
Archon is an open source archival management system that was developed by archivists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and is now used in more than 50 institutions across the country. It provides both a way for staff to record descriptive information about collections and a means for the public to view, search and browse that information in a fully-functional website.
Archon’s public interface shows the most current information that is available to researchers because it is updated automatically once records are received by the Archives. Once information has been entered, it is instantly accessible, searchable and browseable. The new electronic database can be found at http://archon.ilsos.net.
This new electronic database replaces a printed guide called “Descriptive Inventory of the Archives of the State of Illinois.”
Posted Sept. 5, 2012