- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Jesse White warns businesses of statewide corporate scam
Online Staff Report
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White (D) is warning businesses to beware of a scam targeting Illinois corporations.
A firm called Corporate Records Service is contacting Illinois businesses in an attempt to collect a $125 fee to fill out a corporation’s “Annual Minutes Records Form.” The Illinois Business Corporation Act does not require corporations to file a “Minutes Records Form” or pay such a fee with the state or any private entity.
“The problem is that the form this bogus firm is sending out looks similar to our Secretary of State’s annual report form,” White said. “We are concerned that companies are filing the form and paying the $125 because they believe they are filing their annual report with us, as required by law.”
Although the bogus notice states that the fee must be paid by Sept. 21, 2012, there is no fee due to the state for that purpose. The only fee that corporations must pay is the fee that is paid with their annual report. Illinois corporations should be on the alert for this and other similar attempts to defraud them.
The Secretary of State police and Illinois Attorney General’s Office are investigating this deceptive business practice.
White is recommending that corporations do not reply to the solicitation.
If a business has questions or wants to report that they have been a victim of the scam, contact the Secretary of State’s Office at (312) 814-2201.
Posted Sept. 6, 2012