- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Screw City Beer Festival returns to downtown Rockford Sept. 8 with more than 130 beers
Online Staff Report
More than a dozen American craft breweries will pour more than 130 different beers to nearly 2,000 craft beer enthusiasts in downtown Rockford at the Second Annual Screw City Beer Festival from 1 to 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 8.
The festival, held outside Kryptonite Bar at the intersection of State and Main streets, attracted more than 1,200 craft beer enthusiasts in its first year in 2011. For its success, the festival was awarded the State of Illinois Governor’s Award for Best New Event/Festival of 2011.
Tickets to this year’s festival are $25 in advance or $30 at the gate. General admission includes the 1-6 p.m. public session, branded tasting cup, event program, 25 drink tickets (each good for a 2-ounce sample) and access to hourly special releases. Additional drink tickets for 2-ounce samples are 50 cents each during the festival.
Unfortunately, the Screw City Beer Festival is not a Wisconsin event where samples can be unlimited. The 2-ounce sample is a regulatory measure to keep in compliance with current Illinois liquor laws.
In addition to the beer, everything from gourmet wood-fired pizzas to grilled bacon skewers from locally-owned and operated businesses will also be featured at the festival. All food sales are cash only, meaning drink tickets may not be exchanged for food.
Playing inside Kryptonite during the festival will be Empty Pockets from 2 to 3:30 p.m., followed by Vince Chiarelli Band from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Advance tickets to Screw City Beer Festival are available for purchase at Artale Wine Co., 6876 Spring Creek Road; Kryptonite Bar, 308 W. State St.; and The Olympic Tavern, 2327 N. Main St. Tickets purchased with a credit card incur a $2 fee.
All tickets are non-refundable or exchangeable, and you must be 21 or older to order. ID is required for entrance to the festival.
For more about the festival, visit www.screwcitybeerfest.com.
Posted Sept. 6, 2012