- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
Autumn on the Prairie Sept. 15 at Nachusa Grasslands Preserve
Online Staff Report
FRANKLIN GROVE, Ill. — The Nature Conservancy’s Nachusa Grasslands Preserve presents its annual Autumn on the Prairie festival from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 15.
The day’s activities include steward-guided tours of restored native prairie and savannas, educational exhibits, butterfly hikes, self-guided prairie plant exploration hikes and rides through the prairie in a horse-drawn wagon.
Additional activities include live music, local artists at work, children’s activity tent and presentations by Northern Illinois Raptor Rehab and Education.
The event is free and open to the public. Local vendors will be on site to provide food and beverage for purchase. The event is held rain or shine.
The preserve is 3 miles northwest of Franklin Grove, Ill., at 8772 S. Lowden Road. Directional signs will be posted. Franklin Grove is about an hour southwest of Rockford.
Posted Sept. 12, 2012