- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
An Old Testament Parable for today
This came to me over the net, and I want to share it with everyone. This is what is happening today.
“Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, ‘pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land.’
“Nearly 75 years ago (when welfare was introduced), Roosevelt said, ‘lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land.’
“Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the Promised Land!’
“I was so depressed last night thinking about health care plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the suicide hotline. I had to press one for English. I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got so excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
“Folks, we’re screwed.”
Steven R. Young
From the Sept. 19-25, 2012, issue