- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
An Old Testament Parable for today
This came to me over the net, and I want to share it with everyone. This is what is happening today.
“Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, ‘pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land.’
“Nearly 75 years ago (when welfare was introduced), Roosevelt said, ‘lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land.’
“Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the Promised Land!’
“I was so depressed last night thinking about health care plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the suicide hotline. I had to press one for English. I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got so excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
“Folks, we’re screwed.”
Steven R. Young
From the Sept. 19-25, 2012, issue