- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
An Old Testament Parable for today
This came to me over the net, and I want to share it with everyone. This is what is happening today.
“Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, ‘pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land.’
“Nearly 75 years ago (when welfare was introduced), Roosevelt said, ‘lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land.’
“Today, Congress has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the Promised Land!’
“I was so depressed last night thinking about health care plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the suicide hotline. I had to press one for English. I was connected to a call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got so excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
“Folks, we’re screwed.”
Steven R. Young
From the Sept. 19-25, 2012, issue