- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
DeKalb County RAMP Wheel-A-Thon Sept. 22
Online Staff Report
DEKALB, Ill. — Roll on the Wild Side for RAMP Saturday, Sept. 22, at a wild animal-themed 12th Annual DeKalb County Wheel-A-Thon.
The Wheel-A-Thon is a disability awareness event that works much like a typical walk-a-thon, where participants gather donations and complete a challenging course through downtown DeKalb and through the Northern Illinois University campus.
Registration begins at 9 a.m., the Wheel-A-Thon is at 10 a.m. with lunch and awards to follow.
The Wheel-A-Thon begins at Frank Van Buer Plaza, corner of Locust and N. Second, in DeKalb.
Local companies and organizations are encouraged to gather friends, family and co-workers to form teams and raise funds for RAMP.
The Wheel-A-Thon supports DeKalb County RAMP’s mission to promote an accessible society that allows and expects full participation by people with disabilities.
All participants who raise a minimum of $50 will receive an event T-shirt. Those who raise additional funds will be entered into a drawing for incentives from area businesses.
Visit http://www.dekalbcountywheealthon.stayclassy.org to sign up a team, sponsor a wheeler or make a donation.
Contact Heather Foulker, Stephenson County RAMP manager, at (815) 756-3202 or email@example.com for more information.
All proceeds from the Wheel-A-Thon will benefit RAMP’s DeKalb County services provided out of the DeKalb office.
RAMP is a passionate partner for people with disabilities desiring to live a useful and rewarding life. RAMP empowers people to realize there are no limits to what they can do. This is accomplished by assisting people with disabilities to live independently, make changes in their lives, seek peer support, obtain resources and remove barriers that threaten dreams of independence.
RAMP advocates the implementation of current laws, promotion of needed legislation and improvement of existing systems for people with disabilities while working to diminish negative attitudes that threaten to impede equal access. RAMP is a United Way Member Agency.
Posted Sept. 19, 2012