- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
NIU, Girl Scouts offer engineering workshops for girls in grades 6-8
Online Staff Report
Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois (GSNI) and The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology at Northern Illinois University (NIU) are teaming up to offer 12 Saturday engineering workshops and summer camp for all girls in grades 6-8.
Girls will work in small groups to explore various engineering projects including building simple electrical circuits, bridge building, chemical engineering and lean simulation. The girls will be assisted by NIU female faculty, engineering undergraduates and high school mentors.
Girls can apply for the program by completing an application form and submitting a copy of their last quarter’s report card and sealed letter of recommendation from a math, science or technology teacher. To receive an application, girls can visit http://www.girlscoutsni.org/stem.html. Applications must be received by Monday, Sept. 24. NIU will notify applicants of acceptance the week of Oct. 15.
If accepted into this program, there is a program fee of $150 per registered Girl Scout or $162 for non-registered girls (includes the $12 GSUSA registration fee). The program fee includes all workshops, summer camp and optional bus transportation from a location to be determined to NIU Naperville Campus.
For more details, visit www.girlscoutsni.org or call 1-800-242-5591.
Posted Sept. 19, 2012