- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
NIU, Girl Scouts offer engineering workshops for girls in grades 6-8
Online Staff Report
Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois (GSNI) and The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology at Northern Illinois University (NIU) are teaming up to offer 12 Saturday engineering workshops and summer camp for all girls in grades 6-8.
Girls will work in small groups to explore various engineering projects including building simple electrical circuits, bridge building, chemical engineering and lean simulation. The girls will be assisted by NIU female faculty, engineering undergraduates and high school mentors.
Girls can apply for the program by completing an application form and submitting a copy of their last quarter’s report card and sealed letter of recommendation from a math, science or technology teacher. To receive an application, girls can visit http://www.girlscoutsni.org/stem.html. Applications must be received by Monday, Sept. 24. NIU will notify applicants of acceptance the week of Oct. 15.
If accepted into this program, there is a program fee of $150 per registered Girl Scout or $162 for non-registered girls (includes the $12 GSUSA registration fee). The program fee includes all workshops, summer camp and optional bus transportation from a location to be determined to NIU Naperville Campus.
For more details, visit www.girlscoutsni.org or call 1-800-242-5591.
Posted Sept. 19, 2012