- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
NIU, Girl Scouts offer engineering workshops for girls in grades 6-8
Online Staff Report
Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois (GSNI) and The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology at Northern Illinois University (NIU) are teaming up to offer 12 Saturday engineering workshops and summer camp for all girls in grades 6-8.
Girls will work in small groups to explore various engineering projects including building simple electrical circuits, bridge building, chemical engineering and lean simulation. The girls will be assisted by NIU female faculty, engineering undergraduates and high school mentors.
Girls can apply for the program by completing an application form and submitting a copy of their last quarter’s report card and sealed letter of recommendation from a math, science or technology teacher. To receive an application, girls can visit http://www.girlscoutsni.org/stem.html. Applications must be received by Monday, Sept. 24. NIU will notify applicants of acceptance the week of Oct. 15.
If accepted into this program, there is a program fee of $150 per registered Girl Scout or $162 for non-registered girls (includes the $12 GSUSA registration fee). The program fee includes all workshops, summer camp and optional bus transportation from a location to be determined to NIU Naperville Campus.
For more details, visit www.girlscoutsni.org or call 1-800-242-5591.
Posted Sept. 19, 2012