- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
Oregon teacher finalist for state Teacher of the Year
The Illinois State Board of Education has announced that Pam Steele, a fifth-grade teacher at Oregon Elementary School, is a finalist for the 2012-2013 Illinois Teacher of the Year. Steele is one of eight finalists selected by the ISBE’s “Those Who Excel” educator recognition program.
This is the second Oregon School District teacher in the past three years who has been selected as finalist for the award. Oregon School District Superintendent Tom Mahoney was pleased with the announcement and added, “To have one of our educators recognized is an honor, but to have almost a dozen recognized by the state is a testament to the quality of our staff and the education we are providing to our students.”
Several other Oregon School District staff have also been selected for recognition, including the following:
Mike Boyer, High School Social Studies, Early Career Educator — Award of Recognition
Alice Starkey, High School Certified Aide, Educational Service Personnel — Award of Excellence
PJ Caposey, High School Principal, Award of Merit Lot 12
Team — Award of Excellence (this team provided free tutoring/educational opportunities over the summer for students): Beth Taylor, first-grade teacher; Mary Gardner, reading teacher; Catherine Byers, first-grade teacher; Jan Dietrich, second-grade teacher; Joyce Groenhagen, first-grade teacher; Robyn Johnson, reading teacher; Dawn Schad, instructional aide; JoLynn Ward, ELL aide; and Vern Welp, transportation director.
In addition, PJ Caposey has been selected as an exemplary nominee for the ASCD Outstanding Young Educator Award (OYEA) 2013.
From the Sept. 19-25, 2012, issue