- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Stroke and osteoporosis screenings in Rockford Sept. 20
Residents living in and around the Rockford community can be screened to reduce their risk of having a stroke or bone fracture.
Riverside Assembly of God, 4242 W. Riverside Blvd., Rockford, will host Life Line Screening Thursday, Sept. 20.
John Kost from Western Springs, Ill., participated in a Life Line Screening event in April 2008 and learned he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He writes, “I want to thank you and your organization for saving my life!”
Following are four key points every person needs to know:
1. Stroke is the third-leading cause of death and a leading cause of permanent disability.
2. 80 percent of stroke victims had no apparent warning signs prior to their stroke.
3. Preventive ultrasound screenings can help you avoid a stroke.
4. Screenings are fast, noninvasive, painless, affordable and convenient.
Screenings identify potential cardiovascular conditions such as blocked arteries and irregular heart rhythm, abdominal aortic aneurysms, and hardening of the arteries in the legs, which is a strong predictor of heart disease.
A bone density screening to assess osteoporosis risk is also offered and is appropriate for both men and women.
Packages start at $149. All five screenings take 60 to 90 minutes to complete. For more about the screenings or to schedule an appointment, call 1-877-237-1287 or visit www.lifelinescreening.com. Pre-registration is required.
Posted Sept. 19, 2012