- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Spencer Bohren to perform for Blues In The Schools, Sept. 25 public show at JustGoods
Online Staff Report
Rockford’s Crossroads Blues Society is featuring noted blues artist and music educator Spencer Bohren for their Blues In The Schools (BITS) program Wednesday, Sept. 26.
Bohren is from New Orleans and has a program titled Down The Dirt Road Blues that follows the journey of a single song as it travels through America’s history and culture. From its pre-slavery African beginning, the song slowly transforms into Mississippi blues, Memphis dance music, a banjo tune from Appalachia, Hank Williams’ early country music, Muddy Waters’ electric Chicago blues, and finally into folk music and rock ’n’ roll, with Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones.
Bohren’s concurrent narrative gives students a historical context for the changes that drive the music forward.
Performed on appropriate vintage instruments, Bohren’s captivating story carries listeners of all ages along with him on this amazing musical journey and leaves every listener with an appreciation for America’s unique treasure of traditional music.
Bohren will conduct programs at both Byron Middle School in the morning and Highland Elementary in Stillman Valley in the afternoon. After these two programs, Crossroads will have completed 108 school programs over the last 10 years for about 32,000 students in northern Illinois.
Crossroads is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that raises funds to put these programs on for schools free of charge.
Bohren will also perform in Rockford at JustGoods Listening Room, 201 Seventh St., at 7 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 25. Admission is $5 and is free for students. Call (779) 537-4006 for more information.
Posted Sept. 21, 2012