- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Adriatic welcomes Charles Walker Band Sept. 29
Funk, R&B and blues artist the Charles Walker Band will perform at Rockford’s Adriatic Club at 9 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 29.
Featured several times on WNIJ 89.5, the band just released Resouled! a few weeks ago, and it debuted at No. 6 on the WI RMR. The CD has been receiving airplay in several new areas.
Resouled! is a live album the band recorded in both Louisville, Ky., and Milwaukee, their home base.
Porsche Carmon’s powerful vocals take the forefront with Walker wailing on the sax as the perfect backdrop. Other members of the band include Brad Karas on bass guitar and Demetris Vance on drums.
Whether it is Walker lying on his back blowing sax, or Carmon sauntering through the crowd, the Charles Walker Band evokes energy, spontaneity and laughter wherever they perform.
The band has opened for numerous national acts, including Aaron Nevelle, Robert Cray, BB King, Richard Marx, Eddie Shaw (Howlin Wolf’s sax player), Booker T, Earth, Wind & Fire, Cameo and Bernard Allison.
The ensemble has been featured on Fox News, NBC Live in the Morning, nationally syndicated Discover Wisconsin and was the featured artist on the Blues Revue (2010) and Soul Bag (2007) sampler CDs.
The Adriatic is at 327 W. Jefferson St., Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 967-9939. Admission is $5.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue