- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Adriatic welcomes Charles Walker Band Sept. 29
Funk, R&B and blues artist the Charles Walker Band will perform at Rockford’s Adriatic Club at 9 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 29.
Featured several times on WNIJ 89.5, the band just released Resouled! a few weeks ago, and it debuted at No. 6 on the WI RMR. The CD has been receiving airplay in several new areas.
Resouled! is a live album the band recorded in both Louisville, Ky., and Milwaukee, their home base.
Porsche Carmon’s powerful vocals take the forefront with Walker wailing on the sax as the perfect backdrop. Other members of the band include Brad Karas on bass guitar and Demetris Vance on drums.
Whether it is Walker lying on his back blowing sax, or Carmon sauntering through the crowd, the Charles Walker Band evokes energy, spontaneity and laughter wherever they perform.
The band has opened for numerous national acts, including Aaron Nevelle, Robert Cray, BB King, Richard Marx, Eddie Shaw (Howlin Wolf’s sax player), Booker T, Earth, Wind & Fire, Cameo and Bernard Allison.
The ensemble has been featured on Fox News, NBC Live in the Morning, nationally syndicated Discover Wisconsin and was the featured artist on the Blues Revue (2010) and Soul Bag (2007) sampler CDs.
The Adriatic is at 327 W. Jefferson St., Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 967-9939. Admission is $5.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue