- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Elite Defense Systems offers special after-school program
To survive in today’s times, kids need to be physically and mentally safe. Sufficient training in martial arts is no longer just enough. There is a need to upgrade the curriculum of martial arts schools to cover points on academic achievement, higher self-esteem and a fit and healthy lifestyle.
Matt Numrich, founder of Elite Defense Systems Self-Defense Center, has been trying to incorporate mental safety to his courses for more than 17 years. He specializes in non-violent self-defense techniques with emphasis on the habits of quality learning, focus, self-discipline and respect.
Robert Lewis, a proud parent of a student in one of Numrich’s after-school programs, said: “Our daughter’s self-confidence has grown tremendously … she can stand up in front of a class and give an oral report of high caliber. We don’t think she could have done that without what she’d learned in martial arts.”
This year, Numrich’s after-school program has opened 50 spots in schools such as Rockford Christian and Rockford Lutheran so the evaluation of each applicant will be very thorough. A parent conference will also be called since the program requires the full cooperation of the parents.
The week-long program for each school costs $5, which is completely donated back to the schools. Class lessons include: Showing Respect, Respect for Teachers, Clean Your Room, Thank You, Do It the First Time and Go Above and Beyond (bonus lesson). Classes include daily homework assignments to improve results at home and in the classroom.
If you are interested in implementing this program in your child’s school, contact Numrich at (815) 885-4758.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue