- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
Elite Defense Systems offers special after-school program
To survive in today’s times, kids need to be physically and mentally safe. Sufficient training in martial arts is no longer just enough. There is a need to upgrade the curriculum of martial arts schools to cover points on academic achievement, higher self-esteem and a fit and healthy lifestyle.
Matt Numrich, founder of Elite Defense Systems Self-Defense Center, has been trying to incorporate mental safety to his courses for more than 17 years. He specializes in non-violent self-defense techniques with emphasis on the habits of quality learning, focus, self-discipline and respect.
Robert Lewis, a proud parent of a student in one of Numrich’s after-school programs, said: “Our daughter’s self-confidence has grown tremendously … she can stand up in front of a class and give an oral report of high caliber. We don’t think she could have done that without what she’d learned in martial arts.”
This year, Numrich’s after-school program has opened 50 spots in schools such as Rockford Christian and Rockford Lutheran so the evaluation of each applicant will be very thorough. A parent conference will also be called since the program requires the full cooperation of the parents.
The week-long program for each school costs $5, which is completely donated back to the schools. Class lessons include: Showing Respect, Respect for Teachers, Clean Your Room, Thank You, Do It the First Time and Go Above and Beyond (bonus lesson). Classes include daily homework assignments to improve results at home and in the classroom.
If you are interested in implementing this program in your child’s school, contact Numrich at (815) 885-4758.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue