- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Illinois Renewable Energy Association offers busy month of programs
OREGON, Ill. — The Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) is planning a busy, educational month this October. Each Saturday will offer a different program. Each runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Oct. 6, the IREA will host the annual Tour of Solar Homes. Five sites in Ogle County will be featured. The solar tour is free.
Oct. 13, a hands-on small wind workshop will be offered. Weather permitting, participants will take down, disassemble and reassemble a 1-kilowatt Bergey wind generator. Lunch will be ordered.
Oct. 20, a hoop house designed for winter hardy vegetables will be completed and planted with suggested seeds.
Oct. 27, a food preservation workshop will be held. Pressure and water bath canning techniques, dehydrating and freezing will be covered. Participants will leave with the knowledge of how to grow and preserve their own produce for cold season use.
On both Oct. 20 and 27, in keeping with the homegrown food theme, a seasonal lunch will be provided. Workshops will all be at 1230 E. Honey Creek Road, Oregon, Ill.
A donation of $20 for IREA members and $40 for non-members is requested for the wind workshop and $10 for IREA members and $30 for non-members for each food class. Non-member donations will include IREA membership.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue