- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Michelle Williams hosts anti-bullying event at Harlem Middle School Sept. 28
Rockford’s Michelle Williams, formerly of Destiny’s Child, will serve as host of an anti-bullying event from 5 to 9 p.m., Friday, Sept. 28, at Harlem Middle School, 735 Windsor Road, Loves Park, Ill.
Did you know 160,000 students will stay home from school each day for fear of being bullied and that every seven minutes a child is bullied on their school playground, and 85 percent of the time there is no intervention?
To heighten awareness of bullying, Bully Proof USA has teamed up with Rockford Zumba fitness instructors from GL Dance Fitness Studio and Rockford Hip Hop Congress for a fun-filled evening.
The event begins with Zumbathon from 6 to 8 p.m., followed by Boy-BGirl Break Dance Battle from 8 to 9 p.m. Doors will open at 5 p.m. Enter through the main door on Windsor Road.
A prize will be awarded for the Best Old-School Hip Hop Costume. Those who do not wish to come in costume should wear comfortable workout/exercise clothes and tennis shoes.
In addition to Williams, other special guests include Daniel Haywood, Zumba fitness instructor; AKA “Brave Monk,” known as “One of Chicago’s Best B-Boys”; New Vybe Fitness Studio and Lewis Dance Progressions Studio; Bobby and Rosemary Salinas, known as “Salinas Sing Live”; and Marcello Petti of “Big Empty” playing live percussion.
More than 60 sponsors have donated items for raffles, door prizes and a silent auction.
Michael McDermott, president of Bully Proof USA, will also be at the event. Bully Proof USA is a nonprofit foundation committed to battling bullying in every elementary, middle and high school in America. Visit bullyproofusa.com.
Tickets to the event are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets can be purchased at GL Dance Fitness, 7326 Cherry Valley Drive, Cherry Valley, Ill., or by calling (815) 988-0101.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue