- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
Presidential debates to start Oct. 3
The first presidential debate between President Barack Obama (D) and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is scheduled for 8 p.m. (Central), Wednesday, Oct. 3, at the University of Denver. Topic of the first debate will be domestic policy, with Jim Lehrer, host of PBS’s NewsHour, as moderator.
The debate will be divided into six time segments of about 15 minutes each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced several weeks before the debate. The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the topic.
Other scheduled debates include the following:
• Thursday, Oct. 11, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), vice presidential debate between U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Vice President Joe Biden at Centre College, Danville, Ky. Moderator will be Martha Raddatz, ABC news chief and foreign correspondent. Topic will be foreign and domestic policy.
• Tuesday, Oct. 16, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), presidential debate at Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y. Moderator will be Candy Crowley, CNN chief political correspondent. Debate will be a town meeting format including foreign and domestic policy.
• Monday, Oct. 22, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), presidential debate at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. Moderator will be Bob Schieffer, host of CBS’s Face the Nation. Topic will be foreign policy.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue