- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Presidential debates to start Oct. 3
The first presidential debate between President Barack Obama (D) and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is scheduled for 8 p.m. (Central), Wednesday, Oct. 3, at the University of Denver. Topic of the first debate will be domestic policy, with Jim Lehrer, host of PBS’s NewsHour, as moderator.
The debate will be divided into six time segments of about 15 minutes each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced several weeks before the debate. The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the topic.
Other scheduled debates include the following:
• Thursday, Oct. 11, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), vice presidential debate between U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Vice President Joe Biden at Centre College, Danville, Ky. Moderator will be Martha Raddatz, ABC news chief and foreign correspondent. Topic will be foreign and domestic policy.
• Tuesday, Oct. 16, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), presidential debate at Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y. Moderator will be Candy Crowley, CNN chief political correspondent. Debate will be a town meeting format including foreign and domestic policy.
• Monday, Oct. 22, 8-9:30 p.m. (Central), presidential debate at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. Moderator will be Bob Schieffer, host of CBS’s Face the Nation. Topic will be foreign policy.
From the Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2012, issue