Online Staff Report
Rockford’s Discovery Center Museum will host eight special events between October and December. Designed as educational and entertaining programs for families, the Family Fun Days focus on a specific subject matter and then explore that subject through various means, including activities, demonstrations, make-and-take projects and performances. The events are included with admission to Discovery Center, unless otherwise noted.
The event schedule is as follows:
• Saturday, Oct. 6, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. — “Worldwide Day of Play”: Oct. 6 is the official day to turn off all things electronic, get off the couch and go play. Nickelodeon is partnering with Let’s Move Museums & Gardens, a comprehensive initiative dedicated to addressing childhood obesity by celebrating healthy and active play.
Visit Discovery Center and get moving with a Zumba class for kids. Learn a few tricks from the Rockford Riverdogs, a new semi-pro basketball team. Build a masterpiece using Imagination Playground blocks and maneuver the healthy choices outdoor maze. Create a kite and make it fly, chicken dance next to the coop and buzz like a bee when you take on the Discovery Center Let’s Move Challenge.
• Saturday, Oct. 6, 6-10 p.m. — Second Annual Family Ball, “A Tropical Paradise”: Kids and adults can experience the “FUN” in fund-raising as Discovery Center’s Auxiliary transforms the museum’s spaces into “A Tropical Paradise.” Attend in tropical attire and enjoy food, science, games and activities. Peek through a telescope; witness a shark dissection; make your own volcano; take part in a scavengerhunt; get some silent auction action and more. Proceeds benefit Discovery Center Museum. Reservations are $30 per person. Make reservations by calling Lori at (815) 972-2839 or logging on to www.DiscoveryCenterMuseum.org.
• Saturday, Oct. 27, 6-9 p.m. — “Spooky Science”: Attend in costume for a non-scary night of Halloween fun. Create crafts, make your own slime, boogie under black light and more. A host of famous deceased scientists will be on hand to amaze you with “dead” science demonstrations. This event is “skele-tons” of fun for the whole family! Cost is $3 for members and $8 for the public.
• Sunday, Nov. 4, 1-4 p.m. — “Smashing Pumpkins”: Calling all jack-o-lanterns! Unwanted pumpkins become parking lot projectiles when flung from our giant trebuchet! Bring your used pumpkin, create your own catapult, and learn how to lob for a smashing goodtime.
• Friday, Dec. 7, 6-10 p.m. — “Ugly Christmas Sweater”: Grownups (21 and older), release your inner child and experience Discovery Center’s fun exhibits — without the kids! Wear your most hideous holiday sweater and compete for prizes. Get creative with art activities as you make your own ornaments or craft your own cards. Shop for unique gifts in the museum store, where you’ll receive 20 percent off along with complimentary gift-wrapping. Explore the night sky in the planetarium, and more! Food for purchase. Cash bar. Make reservations online at www.discoverycentermuseum.org or by calling (815) 972-2839. Admission is $3 for members, $7 for the public.
Add to the fun by creating a gingerbread house. The museum will provide everything you’ll need to create a masterpiece for your holiday party. Advance registration is required. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for the public, and includes Discovery After Dark admission.
• Friday and Saturday, Nov. 23-24, 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — “Weird Science”: Join the museum for amazing science demos and seasonal arts and crafts. Included with Discovery Center admission.
• Weekdays, Dec. 22-30, 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — “Dazzling Winter Days”: Explore the shapes of the season with hands-on crafts, puzzles and fun art projects. Included with Discovery Center admission.
• Monday, Dec. 31, 12:30-4:30 p.m. — “Countdown to Fun!”: Crafts, games, music and art come together as everyone counts down to midnight — somewhere in the world! Ring in the New Year with music from Kantorei, the singing boys of Rockford. Party hats, confetti, favors and more will be featured. Included with Discovery Center admission.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission is $7 adults, $7 children ages 2-17 and free to museum members and children ages 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.
Posted Oct. 3, 2012