- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Keith student receives national honor
The National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) has announced that Keith Country Day School junior Shayaan Naseer has been selected for membership. The Society recognizes top scholars and invites only those students who have achieved academic excellence. The announcement was made by NSHSS Founder and Chairman Claes Nobel, a senior member of the family that established the Nobel Prize.
“On behalf of the NSHSS, I am honored to recognize the hard work, sacrifice and commitment that Shayaan has demonstrated to achieve this level of academic excellence,” said Nobel. “Shayaan is now a member of a unique community of scholars — a community that represents our very best hope for the future.”
Membership in NSHSS entitles qualified students to enjoy a variety of benefits, including scholarship opportunities, academic competitions, free events, member-only resources, publications, participation in programs offered by educational partners, online forums, personalized recognition items and publicity honors. For more about NSHSS, go to www.nshss.org.
From the Oct. 3-9, 2012, issue