- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
RAMP luncheon to feature speaker on autism
The 22nd Annual Changing Attitudes, Breaking Barriers Luncheon Thursday, Oct. 4, at Cliffbreakers will feature nationally-known speaker on autism, award-winning author and professional autism consultant, Alyson Beytien. She will be accompanied by two of her three sons, who each have a different spectrum of autism.
Beytien will have you laughing and crying as she and two of her sons, David and John, recount their personal experiences with autism. Since her three boys cover the whole spectrum of autism — Asperger’s syndrome, high-functioning autism and classic autism — she understands the range of needs children with autism have and has discovered what helps and what hinders. Covering a full gamut of issues — from picky eating and echolalia to IEPs and “The Woes of Walmart” — Alyson Beytien’s ideas and interventions will inspire and inform all those who are connected to a person with autism.
She believes each day brings more opportunities to learn, problem-solve and celebrate the joys children with autism bring to our world — after all, today’s crisis is tomorrow’s humor. Her family’s motto will soon become your everyday mantra: “Improvise and Overcome!” (Excerpts from Alyson Beytien’s book, Autism Everyday)
For more about Alyson Beytien, visit her website, www.alysonbeytien.com.
For more information about RAMP’s luncheon or to purchase tickets, contact RAMP at (815) 968-7467, or visit the event website, www.snipr.com/RAMPLuncheon. Tickets are $40 a person.
From the Oct. 3-9, 2012, issue