- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
RAMP luncheon to feature speaker on autism
The 22nd Annual Changing Attitudes, Breaking Barriers Luncheon Thursday, Oct. 4, at Cliffbreakers will feature nationally-known speaker on autism, award-winning author and professional autism consultant, Alyson Beytien. She will be accompanied by two of her three sons, who each have a different spectrum of autism.
Beytien will have you laughing and crying as she and two of her sons, David and John, recount their personal experiences with autism. Since her three boys cover the whole spectrum of autism — Asperger’s syndrome, high-functioning autism and classic autism — she understands the range of needs children with autism have and has discovered what helps and what hinders. Covering a full gamut of issues — from picky eating and echolalia to IEPs and “The Woes of Walmart” — Alyson Beytien’s ideas and interventions will inspire and inform all those who are connected to a person with autism.
She believes each day brings more opportunities to learn, problem-solve and celebrate the joys children with autism bring to our world — after all, today’s crisis is tomorrow’s humor. Her family’s motto will soon become your everyday mantra: “Improvise and Overcome!” (Excerpts from Alyson Beytien’s book, Autism Everyday)
For more about Alyson Beytien, visit her website, www.alysonbeytien.com.
For more information about RAMP’s luncheon or to purchase tickets, contact RAMP at (815) 968-7467, or visit the event website, www.snipr.com/RAMPLuncheon. Tickets are $40 a person.
From the Oct. 3-9, 2012, issue