- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
RAMP luncheon to feature speaker on autism
The 22nd Annual Changing Attitudes, Breaking Barriers Luncheon Thursday, Oct. 4, at Cliffbreakers will feature nationally-known speaker on autism, award-winning author and professional autism consultant, Alyson Beytien. She will be accompanied by two of her three sons, who each have a different spectrum of autism.
Beytien will have you laughing and crying as she and two of her sons, David and John, recount their personal experiences with autism. Since her three boys cover the whole spectrum of autism — Asperger’s syndrome, high-functioning autism and classic autism — she understands the range of needs children with autism have and has discovered what helps and what hinders. Covering a full gamut of issues — from picky eating and echolalia to IEPs and “The Woes of Walmart” — Alyson Beytien’s ideas and interventions will inspire and inform all those who are connected to a person with autism.
She believes each day brings more opportunities to learn, problem-solve and celebrate the joys children with autism bring to our world — after all, today’s crisis is tomorrow’s humor. Her family’s motto will soon become your everyday mantra: “Improvise and Overcome!” (Excerpts from Alyson Beytien’s book, Autism Everyday)
For more about Alyson Beytien, visit her website, www.alysonbeytien.com.
For more information about RAMP’s luncheon or to purchase tickets, contact RAMP at (815) 968-7467, or visit the event website, www.snipr.com/RAMPLuncheon. Tickets are $40 a person.
From the Oct. 3-9, 2012, issue