- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Team Fur Bandit Fall Bicycle Classic Oct. 6 on Y Boulevard
Online Staff Report
Team Fur Bandit, North America’s premiere professional fur-covered bicycle cycling team based in Rockford, will host its first Team Fur Bandit Fall Bicycle Classic: The Ultimate Show and Tell, near downtown Rockford.
The team invites cyclists of all levels, all ages, with all types of bicycles to meet them Saturday, Oct. 6, as they gather off 200 Y Boulevard (near the YMCA and sand volleyball courts) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to showcase their preferred mode of transportation — bikes! Attendees are encouraged to bring their bicycles.
“The projects that we do require us to get the most attention,” said DJ Wilson, the team’s captain. “It is just plain fun to turn heads while riding a furry bike.”
The team invites interested parties via its Facebook page to “Bring your bicycles and friends. We’ll be showing off our bikes and talking about our affinity for cycling. Don’t ride, but love to photograph? Come on out!”
The first bicycle classic is also a chance for members and attendees to work together by snapping some photos and submitting them for use in the 2013 Team Fur Bandit community calendar to be printed in late October. Local calendar sponsors are still being recruited. A portion of the proceeds will be donated locally to a group to be revealed at the bicycle classic. Calendars will be available for purchase at Team Fur Bandit’s annual Tour de Frost Dec. 1.
Team Fur Bandit steals the attention away from the negativity in the world and renews the interest in fun, fur and philanthropy. The group is about good deeds, a good time and creating a connected cycling community.
Team Fur Bandit makes it a personal responsibility to look out for the well-being of the community. They are North America’s premiere professional fur-covered bicycle cycling team based out of Rockford, taking furry bikes wherever the roads lead them.
Visit Teamfurbandit.org for more details.
Posted Oct. 3, 2012