- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
Japanese flower arranging, tea ceremony demonstrations Oct. 27-28
Anderson Japanese Gardens, 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford, announces its annual Japanese flower arranging (Ikebana) demonstration and exhibit Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 27-28. Participants will be able to observe a traditional Japanese tea ceremony (Chanoyu) as part of the Ikebana demonstration. The Ikebana and Chanoyu will take place under the direction of Professor Ikka Nakashima.
Nakashima Sensei has been teaching Ikebana and Chanoyu at the highest level for more than 60 years. She trained at the Ikenobo School of Ikebana and is a certified Master of the modern Ohara School of flower arrangement. Professor Nakashima has been recognized by the Urasenke School in Kyoto, Japan, with its most prestigious honor: Honorable Professor of Urasenke Tea. Nakashima Sensei was awarded the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays by his Majesty, the Emperor of Japan, in recognition of her decades of work as a Cultural Ambassador of Japan.
Reservations are required. Space is limited to 50 guests per demonstration. The cost is $10 for Garden members and $15 for non-members. Demonstration times are: Saturday, Oct. 27: 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; Sunday, Oct. 28: 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
For information and reservations, contact Katie Weston, program and events manager, at (815) 316-3306 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Oct. 10-16, 2012, issue