- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
Pumpkin selection, recipe tips offered at Oct. 23 event
Online Staff Report
OREON, Ill. — A new program, “Pumpkins: More Than Just Jack-O-Lanterns,” will be presented from 2 to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 23, at the University of Illinois Extension office, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
Have you ever wanted to make a pumpkin pie or roast pumpkin seeds, but didn’t know where to start? Whether choosing a pumpkin to carve for Halloween or to use in cooking, this fun, family program will answer your questions. The class will discuss pumpkin harvesting, selection, use, nutritional benefits and preparation. All attendees will receive pumpkin recipes to take home.
University of Illinois Extension Nutrition & Wellness Educator Marilyn Csernus and Horticulture Educator Candice Miller will share their knowledge and creative ideas during the program. The cost for the program is $5 per person. Pre-registration is requested.
To register or for more information, visit web.extension.illinois.edu/bdo/ or call (815) 732-2191.
Posted Oct. 10, 2012