- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Pumpkin selection, recipe tips offered at Oct. 23 event
Online Staff Report
OREON, Ill. — A new program, “Pumpkins: More Than Just Jack-O-Lanterns,” will be presented from 2 to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 23, at the University of Illinois Extension office, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
Have you ever wanted to make a pumpkin pie or roast pumpkin seeds, but didn’t know where to start? Whether choosing a pumpkin to carve for Halloween or to use in cooking, this fun, family program will answer your questions. The class will discuss pumpkin harvesting, selection, use, nutritional benefits and preparation. All attendees will receive pumpkin recipes to take home.
University of Illinois Extension Nutrition & Wellness Educator Marilyn Csernus and Horticulture Educator Candice Miller will share their knowledge and creative ideas during the program. The cost for the program is $5 per person. Pre-registration is requested.
To register or for more information, visit web.extension.illinois.edu/bdo/ or call (815) 732-2191.
Posted Oct. 10, 2012