- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Pumpkin selection, recipe tips offered at Oct. 23 event
Online Staff Report
OREON, Ill. — A new program, “Pumpkins: More Than Just Jack-O-Lanterns,” will be presented from 2 to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 23, at the University of Illinois Extension office, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
Have you ever wanted to make a pumpkin pie or roast pumpkin seeds, but didn’t know where to start? Whether choosing a pumpkin to carve for Halloween or to use in cooking, this fun, family program will answer your questions. The class will discuss pumpkin harvesting, selection, use, nutritional benefits and preparation. All attendees will receive pumpkin recipes to take home.
University of Illinois Extension Nutrition & Wellness Educator Marilyn Csernus and Horticulture Educator Candice Miller will share their knowledge and creative ideas during the program. The cost for the program is $5 per person. Pre-registration is requested.
To register or for more information, visit web.extension.illinois.edu/bdo/ or call (815) 732-2191.
Posted Oct. 10, 2012