- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
2012 Champion of Youth Awards benefit ScoutReach
The proceeds of the 16th Annual 2012 Distinguished Citizens Luncheon will help fund Blackhawk Area Council’s ScoutReach and Soccer & Scouting programs and the 3,000 youth they serve.
ScoutReach places an emphasis on urban Scouting. ScoutReach is the Blackhawk Area Council’s commitment to making sure that all young people have an opportunity to join Scouting, regardless of their circumstances, neighborhood or ethnic background. Scouting, by emphasizing ethics and moral values, addresses many of the social concerns of parents and youth in our country. Scouting prepares youth to be leaders, to accept responsibility, and to care about principles and causes beyond their own self-interest. Its biggest asset in urban neighborhoods is a well-defined program based on values, learning-by-doing, fun and positive models.
This year, the council is conducting more than 60 ScoutReach programs and serving 700 youth in Latino Soccer throughout the Rockford area. A special emphasis is placed on three aspects of the program.
Summer Camps — During a nine-week period in the summer, special outdoor programs for kids are conducted at 20 different sites. The mini-camp program stresses the 12 points of the Scout Law, along with many other Scouting values.
School-year Program — From September through May, programs are conducted at selected sites, usually schools, community centers, churches, or day care facilities. A paid staff provides a fun, values-filled program on a weekly basis. ScoutReach kids earn traditional Scout badges.
Soccer & Scouting — The council is reaching out to friends in the Latino community with the successful launch of the “Soccer & Scouting” program. The council is partnered with 26 teams in the International Soccer League of Rockford. The Scout program is layered on the sports program to introduce Scouting to a new generation of boys and girls, many of whom do not have a family tradition of Scouting. The council hopes it is a very welcoming manner in which to introduce the success of Scouting to these families.
From the Oct. 17-23, 2012, issue