- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Rock-Con Gaming Convention Oct. 19-21
The 39th Annual Rock-Con Gaming Convention is set for Friday-Sunday, Oct. 19-21, at the Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park.
The event — which runs 7-11 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19; 9 a.m.-11 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 20; and 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 21 — offers an opportunity to play adventure games of all sorts, practice strategy, solve problems creatively and have fun.
Rock-Con 2012 features historical and fantasy miniature gaming, collectible miniatures, role-playing, collectible card and board gaming. Events for all ages and skill levels are included that cover the entire spectrum of adventure gaming. Rock-Con 2012 has 24,000 square feet for gaming — more space than ever before!
This year’s event features tournaments for five miniatures games including Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War, Warmachine and Malifaux.
The annual silent auction will take place Saturday, Oct. 20. Convention-goers can try their hand at painting miniatures at the paint-and-take table all weekend beginning at 3 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19. In addition, the dealers’ area will be open throughout the weekend.
Special guests include Dan Houser, illustrator and podcaster; John Kovalic, Dork Tower cartoonist/writer; James M. Ward, fantasy author and game designer; and Tom Wham, game designer and creator of board game Awful Green Things from Outer Space.
Admission at the door is $25 for the weekend. Rates for day passes vary. Registration opens at 1 p.m., and the dealers’ area opens at 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19.
For Friday only, admission is $9, Saturday only is $16 and Sunday only is $9. Children younger than 12 are admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult. Military discounts are available with a current DOD or VA identification card.
From the Oct. 17-23, 2012, issue