- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Rock-Con Gaming Convention Oct. 19-21
The 39th Annual Rock-Con Gaming Convention is set for Friday-Sunday, Oct. 19-21, at the Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park.
The event — which runs 7-11 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19; 9 a.m.-11 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 20; and 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 21 — offers an opportunity to play adventure games of all sorts, practice strategy, solve problems creatively and have fun.
Rock-Con 2012 features historical and fantasy miniature gaming, collectible miniatures, role-playing, collectible card and board gaming. Events for all ages and skill levels are included that cover the entire spectrum of adventure gaming. Rock-Con 2012 has 24,000 square feet for gaming — more space than ever before!
This year’s event features tournaments for five miniatures games including Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War, Warmachine and Malifaux.
The annual silent auction will take place Saturday, Oct. 20. Convention-goers can try their hand at painting miniatures at the paint-and-take table all weekend beginning at 3 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19. In addition, the dealers’ area will be open throughout the weekend.
Special guests include Dan Houser, illustrator and podcaster; John Kovalic, Dork Tower cartoonist/writer; James M. Ward, fantasy author and game designer; and Tom Wham, game designer and creator of board game Awful Green Things from Outer Space.
Admission at the door is $25 for the weekend. Rates for day passes vary. Registration opens at 1 p.m., and the dealers’ area opens at 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 19.
For Friday only, admission is $9, Saturday only is $16 and Sunday only is $9. Children younger than 12 are admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult. Military discounts are available with a current DOD or VA identification card.
From the Oct. 17-23, 2012, issue