- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
76-year-old woman, passenger die in two-vehicle crash in Stephenson County
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office has released the name of the driver of a fatal two-vehicle crash at Baileyville and Lamar roads in Stephenson County.
Helen A. Franz, 76, of Freeport, Ill., was the driver of one of the vehicles involved in the incident, and she died as a result of injuries sustained in the crash. Her rear-seat passenger, also a female, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Franz was flown by helicopter to Rockford Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead in surgery at 10:25 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 17. Her cause of death is head and chest injuries as a result of the accident.
Stephenson County Sheriff’s police are investigating the accident. The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office has said alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
Posted Oct. 18, 2012