- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Park District awarded for Public Art Walking Tour
The Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) held its annual Awards Gala and recognition program Friday, Sept. 28, at the Wheeling Park District’s Chevy Chase Country Club. The Rockford Park District was honored with a “Best of the Best” award for Arts in the Parks. The award recognized the Rockford Park District’s Public Art Walking Tour, which started in May 2012.
The award, presented in partnership with Arts Alliance Illinois, recognizes agencies (park districts, forest preserves, conservation, recreation, and special recreation agencies) that support the arts and partner with artists and arts organizations to enhance the quality of life in their communities.
The Awards Gala provided an opportunity to give board members, citizen volunteers, businesses, government officials, and media the recognition they deserve for doing so much to advance parks, recreation and conservation. Winners were selected for first place, first runner-up, and second runner-up.
Jodi Carroll, deputy director of Recreation and Systems Development for the Rockford Park District, said: “We are honored to be recognized by the IAPD. The Public Art Walking Tour is intended to connect people with art along the Rock River Recreation Path, and provide a way for the community to enjoy, contemplate, and explore these pieces, many of which were donated to the Rockford Park District.”
The Public Art Walking Tour takes you on a 2-mile walk along the Rock River Recreation Path, and features 16 unique sculptures. An organized tour is available every Thursday at 11 a.m., weather permitting, and is free with admission to Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. Second St., Rockford.
The Public Art Walking Tour departs from the lobby of Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens. Scheduled group tours are also available. Call (815) 9876-1654 for information, or visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org.
From the Oct. 24-30, 2012, issue