- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Local student needs help to attend conference
Abraham Herrera, 16, of Machesney Park, was chosen to attend the 2013 Presidential Inaugural Conference held in Washington, D.C. The five-day conference will include learning how political experts use tactics and strategies to run winning campaigns, keynote speeches from Condoleeza Rice and Gen. Wesley Clark, and viewing the inauguration itself.
“The conference will make me a more responsible citizen and will also instill key leadership skills in me. I hope to one day become a political leader; this trip is a great way to learn,” Herrera said.
Throughout the city of Rockford, Herrera is the only student working toward fund-raising for the Presidential Inaugural Conference. The cost to attend is more than $3,000 and is a chance-of-a-lifetime opportunity he does not want to miss. Herrera needs his community’s help to attend the conference.
Herrera is active in his school and community. He participated in the YMCA’s Intern Challenge, is a member of the National Honor Society, a student council member, enrolled in Rock Valley College’s Upward Bound Program and on the Superintendent Advisory Council.
To make a donation, contact the YMCA of Rock River Valley at (815) 489-1252 or (815) 489-3352. A fund has been set up in his name.
From the Oct. 31-Nov. 6, 2012, issue