- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Support the Better Schools Brighter Future Referendum
The Better Schools Brighter Future Referendum Committee has been working hard meeting with various community groups about the importance of passing this critical referendum.
On Nov. 6, please support our students, teachers, and our community by voting YES to a question on your ballot that will ask voters to approve a $139 million bond referendum. Proceeds of this bond sale will help fund a 10-year facilities plan that will impact every student and every neighboerhood. Issuing these bonds will NOT INCREASE YOUR ANNUAL TAXES.
Because the district is in excellent financial standing, we have the opportunity to issue bonds that can be spent to repair and improve the district’s facilities. This is the first opportunity we have had in more than 20 years to do so. This is a responsible way to address the district’s aging facilities and their needs at a time when interest rates are at an all-time low.
Our schools are in dire need of repairs, some of which include: fixing carpet held together by duct tape; inadequate number of outlets which prevent students from accessing computers; 80-year-old boilers; and single pane windows that make heating and cooling consistencies virtually impossible. But our students deserve even more. They deserve 21st-century learning environments where they can experience project-based learning and technology that will help them compete in the global marketplace.
This is about the kids. But it’s also about so much more than that. Communities with excellent school systems attract people, increase home values, and attract new businesses to the area. School systems are a major driver of the economy.
Please vote YES for Kids Nov. 6. But also vote yes for all Rockford residents. Vote YES for our community. Let’s keep striving to make Rockford Public Schools the first choice of schools in our great city.
Please visit our website, www.betterschoolsbrighterfuture.com, to learn more about our efforts.
Better Schools Brighter Future Referendum
Campaign Committee Member
From the Oct. 31-Nov. 6, 2012, issue