Trick-or-treating hours in Rockford set for 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 31
Online Staff Report
Trick-or-treating hours in the city of Rockford will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 31.
The city recommends the following safety tips:
• Outside lights should be left on;
• Motorists should use extreme caution since small or costumed children can be hard to see;
• Trick-or-treaters should wear light-colored costumes or reflective tape to be seen more clearly;
• Parents or other adults should accompany children, if possible; and
• Flashlights should be used for safety and visibility.
Further tips include the following (courtesy of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta):
• Remove hazards from front porch and yard, such as pots, branches, candles and hoses.
• Confine household pets, and make sure they are wearing collars.
• Leave jack-o’-lantern carving to adults and use battery-powered lights.
• Talk to children in advance about boundaries for how many pieces of candy will be eaten Halloween night (three to five recommended).
• When choosing candies to give on Halloween, select ones with nutritional value like chocolates (the darker the better) or candies with nuts.
• Send kids trick-or-treating on a full stomach by planning an easy meal, like a bowl of whole-wheat pasta or a quick peanut butter and banana sandwich.
• Make sure masks have eyeholes large enough for full vision.
• Check for loose clothing that could easily brush up against jack-o’-lanterns.
• Read labels to make sure fabrics are flame-resistant — remind to stop, drop and roll.
• Test props to make sure they are flexible and confirm face paint is non-toxic.
• Add reflective tape and stickers if costumes are not bright.
• Ensure kids carry a flashlight and cell phone.
• Chaperone children age 13 and younger.
• Remind kids to stay on the sidewalk, walk facing traffic and avoid shortcuts.
• Set a rule to visit only well-lit houses and remain on the porch.
Posted Oct. 31, 2012
Print This Article