- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
- ABC Supply acquires Siding World
Literary Hook: Autumn leaves in all their splendor
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Below is a poem from Bill Zartman. It’s perfect for the season.
Even In Their Splendor
Teased by the soft wind,
They flutter and glide in gentle arcs:
— Yellow poplars, red maples, brown oaks —
Flashing gaily in the sun.
Even in their splendor,
The autumn leaves know the time has come
To release their familiar branch
And drift away.
All to the same fate,
They fly without care;
Settling serenely with countless others
Whose brief journey is done.
Bill Zartman is retired from a local manufacturing company. He enjoys bicycling, playing the violin, and visiting the north woods of Wisconsin.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Nov. 7-13, 2012, issue