- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
Literary Hook: Autumn leaves in all their splendor
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Below is a poem from Bill Zartman. It’s perfect for the season.
Even In Their Splendor
Teased by the soft wind,
They flutter and glide in gentle arcs:
— Yellow poplars, red maples, brown oaks —
Flashing gaily in the sun.
Even in their splendor,
The autumn leaves know the time has come
To release their familiar branch
And drift away.
All to the same fate,
They fly without care;
Settling serenely with countless others
Whose brief journey is done.
Bill Zartman is retired from a local manufacturing company. He enjoys bicycling, playing the violin, and visiting the north woods of Wisconsin.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Nov. 7-13, 2012, issue