- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
Literary Hook: Autumn leaves in all their splendor
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Below is a poem from Bill Zartman. It’s perfect for the season.
Even In Their Splendor
Teased by the soft wind,
They flutter and glide in gentle arcs:
— Yellow poplars, red maples, brown oaks —
Flashing gaily in the sun.
Even in their splendor,
The autumn leaves know the time has come
To release their familiar branch
And drift away.
All to the same fate,
They fly without care;
Settling serenely with countless others
Whose brief journey is done.
Bill Zartman is retired from a local manufacturing company. He enjoys bicycling, playing the violin, and visiting the north woods of Wisconsin.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Nov. 7-13, 2012, issue