- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Literary Hook: Autumn leaves in all their splendor
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Below is a poem from Bill Zartman. It’s perfect for the season.
Even In Their Splendor
Teased by the soft wind,
They flutter and glide in gentle arcs:
— Yellow poplars, red maples, brown oaks —
Flashing gaily in the sun.
Even in their splendor,
The autumn leaves know the time has come
To release their familiar branch
And drift away.
All to the same fate,
They fly without care;
Settling serenely with countless others
Whose brief journey is done.
Bill Zartman is retired from a local manufacturing company. He enjoys bicycling, playing the violin, and visiting the north woods of Wisconsin.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the Nov. 7-13, 2012, issue