- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Woman inducted into State Athletics Hall of Fame
Metria (Bell) Nesbitt is a five-time individual Missouri Valley Conference (Gateway) champion with Illinois State University (ISU), a three-time outdoor 800-meter MVC champion (1990-92), and still owns the school record for the outdoor 800-meter run with a time of 2:06.87. She is the 1993 600-meter indoor MVC champion, a member of four conference championship track and field teams, and a two-time NCAA national qualifier in the 800-meter run (1992 and 1993), and was named to the Valley All-Centennial Track and Field Team.
Nesbitt is also a member of the 4×800-meter relay team that finished ninth at the 1993 NCAA Championships with a school-record time of 8:46.30. She ranks third all-time in ISU history in the indoor 800-meter run with a time of 2:09.68. She was named the 1993 Illinois State Athletics Linda Herman Scholar-Athlete of the Year and was a member of the AFNI Athletics Honor Roll eight times.
Metria was inducted into the Illinois State Athletics Hall of Fame 2012 Oct. 6 in the Brown Ballroom at Illinois State University-Normal in their induction ceremony. Metria is the proud daughter of Murphilene Bell and John H. Bell of Rockford.
From the Nov. 7-13, 2012, issue