Rockford Memorial earns multiple HealthGrades awards
Rockford Memorial Hospital (RMH) has again been recognized for its high quality of care, receiving numerous awards from HealthGrades, the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital. The awards were presented to hospital physicians and staff Friday, Nov. 16.
Among this most recent list of accomplishments, most significantly, the hospital is ranked in the top 10 percent nationally for spine surgery and is ranked No. 1 in the state of Illinois for spine surgery, the first-ever top designation for a local hospital.
These rankings were part of a report, “American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: HealthGrades Report to the Nation,” that evaluates how approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide performed on risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates for nearly 30 of the most common conditions treated and procedures performed from 2009 through 2011.
The 17 awards include the following, by category:
• Critical Care — Five-star recipient for treatment of sepsis in 2013.
• Neurosciences — Five-star recipient for treatment of stroke in 2013.
• Pulmonary — Five-star recipient for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for seven years in a row (2007-2013); and five-star recipient for treatment of pneumonia for 11 years in a row (2003-2013).
• Back and Neck Surgery — Five-star recipient for non-spinal fusion back and neck surgery in 2013; and five-star recipient for spinal fusion back and neck surgery for seven years in a row (2007-2013).
• Orthopedic — Five-star recipient for total knee replacement for two years in a row (2012-2013); five-star recipient for joint replacement for two years in a row (2012-2013); five-star recipient for overall orthopedic services for four years in a row (2010-2013); ranked No. 9 in Illinois for overall orthopedic services in 2013; and ranked among the top 10 in Illinois for overall orthopedic services for four years in a row (2010-2013).
• Spine Surgery — Five-star recipient for spine surgery for five years in a row (2009-2013); ranked among the top 10 in Illinois for spine surgery for seven years in a row (2007-2013) (ranked No. 1 in 2013); Ranked No. 1 in Illinois for spine surgery in 2013; ranked among the top 10 percent in the nation for spine surgery in 2013; recipient of the HealthGrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award in 2013; one of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery in 2013.
Hospital outcomes and complication rates are important in the eyes of consumers making choices today about their health care. According to new research conducted by Harris Interactive for HealthGrades, 90 percent of Americans in 27 top designated market areas agree they would be more likely to choose — or not choose — a hospital if they could learn ahead of time their chances of complications for a certain procedure.
For its analysis, HealthGrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed from 2009 through 2011 at approximately 4,500 short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide. Patients being treated in hospitals receiving five stars have, on average, 61 percent lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated by hospitals receiving one star (based on 2009-2011 data across nine common procedures and diagnoses such as total knee replacement, gallbladder and spine surgeries).
Additionally, a total of 183,534 in-hospital complications could potentially have been avoided if all hospitals performed at a five-star level.
HealthGrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of the analysis, and no hospital pays to be measured. The 2013 HealthGrades hospital quality outcomes are free to the public at www.healthgrades.com.
From the Nov. 21-27, 2012, issue