Next Rockford’s Cold Weather Clothing Drive runs Nov. 27-Dec. 14
Online Staff Report
Next Rockford, a group of about 75 Gen X and Gen Y professionals, will lead a Boots and Socks Cold Weather Clothing Drive to benefit students in the Rockford Public School District.
The drive runs Nov. 27-Dec. 14 at the following drop-off locations:
• Hulsebus Chiropractic Clinic, 1877 Daimler Road (across from CherryVale Mall) — Hours of operation: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday-Friday, and 8:30-11 a.m., Saturday.
• Unitarian Universalist Church, 4848 Turner St. (off Alpine, just north of State) — Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m.-noon.
• Rockford Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, 102 N. Main St. — Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Riverside Community Bank, 6855 E. Riverside Blvd. (Riverside and Perryville) — Hours of operation: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Court Street United Methodist Church, 215 N. Court St. — Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Many students walk to school on cold and snowy winter days with no socks or winter boots, often wearing the same shoes they wore all summer. This impacts their health, their hygiene and, most importantly, their ability to learn.
The greatest need is for students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, but all sizes will be accepted.
Last year’s drive netted more than 200 pairs of boots, socks, hats, gloves and jackets. The goal this year is 300 pairs. Areas of specific need this year are boots and socks, long- and short-sleeved warm undergarments for layering, hats and gloves, and jackets.
Next Rockford is a group of about 75 Gen X and Gen Y professionals in a range of industries who are working to develop and engage Rockford’s next generation of leadership. The group was founded in 2003, and is open to individuals born after 1965.
Posted Nov. 27, 2012
Print This Article