- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
- Pet Talk: Healthy pets make for a happy holiday
- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
OSF offers holiday nutrition classes
We all know the holidays are a tough time to stick to healthy eating habits. That’s why OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center is offering two nutrition classes this December that will arm you with the tools you need to enjoy your holiday get-togethers without overindulging. Both classes are offered at the medical center, 5666 E. State St., Rockford. Registration is required.
Eating to Lower Your Cholesterol — 5-6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 11. Description: In this course, you will learn how cholesterol is used in the body, the risk factors of high cholesterol and what dietary changes you can make to help reduce your cholesterol. The course will describe the food sources of cholesterol and what guidelines you should follow to best manage your cholesterol levels. Cost: $24. More information: (815) 227-2161.
Eating to Lower Your Blood Pressure — 5-6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 18. Description: In this course, you’ll learn what healthy blood pressure numbers are, stress-relieving techniques and the best foods to control your blood pressure. Attendees will also receive handouts on food label comparisons of popular food brands and simple lists of recommended foods containing the right balance of minerals to manage your blood pressure. Cost: $24. More information: (815) 227-2161.
From the Dec. 5-11, 2012, issue