- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Caring Canines therapy dogs celebrate 20,000th visit
The Caring Canines therapy dogs at Rockford’s SwedishAmerican Hospital first brought smiles to patients, guests and staff members on Sept. 15, 2010. Starting with an initial group of five therapy dog teams visiting with patients in the Center for Mental Health, the Caring Canines now include 21 teams that visit 12 different areas of the hospital and clinics.
Dec. 12, one of the original therapy dog teams of Alicia McKinney and her almost 7-year-old English labrador retriever, Ben, marked the 20,000th visit made by the Caring Canines.
McKinney, a retired X-ray technician, notes that she loves to visit at the hospital almost as much as Ben does. In fact, sharing Ben with patients led her to train another one of her dogs, a yellow lab named Maria, to become a Caring Canine team member as well.
Ben’s love for his job was evident on this special milestone occasion when he visited with Johnny Marlowe, a patient in the Heart Hospital at SwedishAmerican. Marlowe stated he loves dogs and thoroughly enjoyed a visit by a friendly, four-legged stress-reliever.
Current members of the Caring Canines range from a 7-pound long-haired Chihuahua to a 110-pound black lab. Other breeds include shih tzus, Pekingese, an Australian Shepherd, Cavalier King Charles spaniel, border collie, Basset hound, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, English setter, golden retriever, boxer, Mexican hairless and dogs of mixed parentage.
The Caring Canines are always looking for new team members. For more information, contact Animal Assisted Therapy Coordinator Deb Schwarze at (779) 696-2166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SwedishAmerican is a not-for-profit, locally governed health care system with headquarters in Rockford. The health system is composed of two hospitals, 30 clinics, a home health care agency, a foundation, and has an exclusive affiliation with UW Health in northern Illinois.
From the Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 1, 2013, issue