- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Rockford youth hockey program receives grant to provide free equipment
Rockford’s MinorHawks Youth Hockey League players will receive hockey gear valued at $3,580 provided through grant funds from the Amateur Hockey Association Illinois, Inc. (AHAI) under the auspices of USA Hockey’s “One Goal” hockey program that is supported by the Chicago Blackhawks.
The grant makes equipment available at no cost to new youth players. The grant will provide 40 kits, which include helmets, shoulder and elbow pads, gloves, pants, shin guards, a Blackhawks jersey, and a hockey stick in a “One Goal” equipment bag. AHAI also provided custom brochures and a banner for Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Road, Loves Park, Ill.
The MinorHawks program at Carlson Ice Arena is a league for ages 6-15 that meets once a week to introduce players to the game, and prepare them to join the Jr. IceHogs developmental leagues, based at Rockford Park District’s two indoor ice facilities. Using the cross-ice game format, players learn to skate and are introduced to the game of hockey. Participants also learn the life lessons of teamwork, self-confidence and determination.
From the Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 1, 2013, issue