- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Student Advisory Council members announced
Rockford Public Schools selected eight high school students to serve on the 2012-2013 Superintendent’s Advisory Council.
The council serves as a liaison between administrators and students. In the past, the group has spearheaded several projects, including Million Meals for Haiti, the Rockford Sharefest WALKaTHON and the Salvation Army’s food drive.
This year, the group plans to expand the Natural Helpers program. The program will encourage high school students to mentor and help other students in need. Council members will meet again this month to outline other key projects.
“I’m excited about the members of our student advisory council, and what they’ll accomplish,” said Angela Lundin, who is in her first year advising the group. “All of our students want to make a difference in their schools. They want to be a part of improving our schools.”
The 2012-2013 council members are: Anna Wilson, Auburn High School; Raven Ross (co-chairman), and Logan Tillman (historian), East High School; Aubrey Baker-Clark (co-chairman) and Erkan Bertram (vice-chairman), Guilford High School; Emily Britton (secretary), Jefferson High School; Gabe Lampley (treasurer); and Candus Jones, Roosevelt High School.
From the Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 1, 2013, issue