- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
- Photos: North America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment at Rockford’s Midway Village
Student Advisory Council members announced
Rockford Public Schools selected eight high school students to serve on the 2012-2013 Superintendent’s Advisory Council.
The council serves as a liaison between administrators and students. In the past, the group has spearheaded several projects, including Million Meals for Haiti, the Rockford Sharefest WALKaTHON and the Salvation Army’s food drive.
This year, the group plans to expand the Natural Helpers program. The program will encourage high school students to mentor and help other students in need. Council members will meet again this month to outline other key projects.
“I’m excited about the members of our student advisory council, and what they’ll accomplish,” said Angela Lundin, who is in her first year advising the group. “All of our students want to make a difference in their schools. They want to be a part of improving our schools.”
The 2012-2013 council members are: Anna Wilson, Auburn High School; Raven Ross (co-chairman), and Logan Tillman (historian), East High School; Aubrey Baker-Clark (co-chairman) and Erkan Bertram (vice-chairman), Guilford High School; Emily Britton (secretary), Jefferson High School; Gabe Lampley (treasurer); and Candus Jones, Roosevelt High School.
From the Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 1, 2013, issue