- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Three Sneak Peeks offer first look at Beloit film fest
BELOIT, Wis. — Hundreds of films have been submitted, reviewed and scheduled. Filmmakers from around the world are making travel plans to be in Beloit, Wis. Viewing venues are upgrading, and the dates are set for hundreds of volunteer ambassadors to get their assignments.
And in just a few weeks, film fans throughout the region will have the chance to find out what’s showing at Beloit International Film Festival (BIFF) 2013.
Three “Sneak Peeks,” highlighted by the release of the complete printed program for the Feb. 14-17 BIFF, will take place this year in Beloit, Rockford and Janesville, Wis., during the last week of January. These “Sneak Peek” parties will offer a chance to see the trailers for some of the top films in this year’s festival and start to make film selections in anticipation of the opening of the BIFF Online Box Office Jan. 31.
The schedule for this year’s programs includes the following:
• Tuesday, Jan. 29, 5:30 p.m. at the Beloit Inn (presented in cooperation with the Greater Beloit Chamber of Commerce and Merrill and Houston’s Steak Joint);
• Wednesday, Jan. 30, 5:30 p.m. at Franchesco’s Ristorante in Rockford in the popular Frank Sinatra Room (presented in cooperation with Blackhawk Bank); and
• Thursday, Jan. 31, 5:30 p.m. at The Speakeasy Restaurant in Janesville.
Roddie Beaudoin, executive director of BIFF, said: “This year, we will have more features than ever and several additional venues. We are offering our Sneak Peeks a week later than in past years, and we think that should help to provide an accurate final list for BIFF patrons. Once again, our growing reputation and affiliation with a number of nationally-recognized festivals has given us access to features, documentaries and shorts that are generally seen only at the leading festivals in North America and provided us with great connections to leading filmmakers, a number of whom are planning to be here.”
The Sneak Peeks provide the flavor of what is to come, both in the films and in the fun. All three restaurant hosts will be putting out an impressive spread of hors d’oeuvres with a cash bar. The Beloit Inn will host the hospitality center for the visiting artists and sponsors during BIFF. Rockford’s Franchesco’s — the first venue to sell out last year — will offer “Dinner and a Movie” specials Friday and Saturday evenings of BIFF. The Speakeasy on Route 51 in Janesville will offer films in two function rooms each night of BIFF while food and drink are available at the bar and in the dining room.
For more information, go to the new BIFF website at http://bit.ly/BIFFPreview.
From the Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 1, 2013, issue