- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
- BREAKING: Rauner vetoes state budget
Audubon Society to host programs in January
Northwest Illinois Audubon Society is offering two programs in January.
Tuesday, Jan. 8, Andy Paulios, the coordinator of the Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative at the Bureau of Wildlife Management in the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, will present a program about the year in the life of a Baltimore oriole.
Paulios will give a close look at the needs of the Baltimore oriole and will use the example of the oriole to talk about the broader issues facing migratory birds as a whole. He will help participants rethink local conservation efforts to support all migratory birds throughout the year, and throughout their life cycle.
The program will begin at 7:30 p.m. at St. John United Church of Christ, 1010 S. Park Blvd., Freeport. Refreshments will be served after the program. The program is free and open to the community. Contact Eve at (815) 821-1886 for more details.
A second program will be offered from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 19. “Tracks, Scats and Anything Else” is an outdoor adventure that will give participants the opportunity to get out for a little “snoopin’ around” in the woods during the winter. Participants will begin by searching for any animal sign they can find while trying to answer the questions of “What?,” “When?,” “How?” and “Why?”
Meet at the Mogle Center at Oakdale Nature Preserve, which is 3 miles south of Freeport on Baileyville Road. Dress for being outdoors, including footwear that will keep your feet warm and dry. For more information, call Richard Benning at (815) 865-5279.
From the Jan. 2-8, 2013, issue